Mandatory Origin Story

So I've wanted to start up a proper blog for a while regarding my favourite thing: Marvel Comics. I could have also made a blog about Dynasty Warriors or bad wrestling gimmicks but I landed on Marvel Comics in the end. Why? Well because out of all the things I know stuff about its the thing I know most about and what most of my life has involved. So here is the first post. The origin story, the obligatory spider-bite/gamma bomb explosion/mutant gene awakening of my writings.

I first got a hold of a comic when I was 6. It was an Essential X-men compilation comic bought for me in WHSmith by my Dad. I loved it for a lot of reasons, mostly the vibrant colours and the fantastical subject matter. Obviously being 6 in England during 1998 meant that most of my heroes before that point where footballers. Most notably David Beckham and his valiant inciting of violence against Argentina during the World Cup. He really wanted to win that game, bless him. We all did. All right maybe it wasn't valiant at all.

So anyway as soon as I started real X-men comics I was hooked. Instantly my favourite characters were Iceman, Colossus and Shadowcat. Iceman felt like the closest character to myself as he was far too sure of himself and rarely took anything seriously. Colossus was more like my brother as he was taller than me and could do art well. I also just really liked Shadowcat because she had Lockheed and that time she beat the shit out of Emma Frost from behind a bathroom mirror was amazing.

All I ever used to read was X-men comics until on a whim I bought Avengers: Disassembled and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know that's a pretty strange starting point for reading Avengers but hey I had no idea at the time. As time went on my collection got bigger and heavier (noticed that when I moved house) expanding to all sorts of heroes and teams. I put off reading Spider-man for a long time as he never really stood out too much to me. I was very dumb in doing that as Spider-man is undeniably the greatest superhero of all time. He's nowhere near my favourite but he ticks every box and has recovered from some of the worst writing at times to remain on top.

If you know me already you'll know I don't have time to Iron Man/Tony Stark. Really put off by his actions during and in the 10 years following Civil War. By no means do I think he's a bad character, as if he was he wouldn't be able to inspire contempt in me but yeah. Fuck Tony Stark.

So you can expect general thoughts and ramblings on comics and their content. Hope you survive the experience!

- Gary

Comments