Someone's Favourite Somewhere


You can tell a lot about a person by their favourite superhero. If they love Spider-man they're usually a very hopeful person who like to cry now and then and if they like Iron Man they will likely betray you, murder one of your friend group and blame it on a robot they created with two other dickheads. Regardless no matter how much you hate a superhero they're someone's favourite somewhere. I cannot fathom why anyone would like Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic. He's an insufferable rubber band made of condescending piss. But some people love the guy - and consider him their favourite superhero.

Its important to remember that its different stroked for different folks. Unless their favourite superhero is Red Skull. Then, you remind them he's a nazi villain and back away from them. Change your phone number and also - don't respond to their Christmas cards. Villains are a whole other story so I'll not go into that today. I may never find the time to write about how the glorification of the abusive relationship between Harley Quinn and The Joker gives me piles. Luckily I primarily read Marvel so I don't have to deal with that a lot.

Back to the topic at hand - favourite superheroes. There can be a number of reason why someone is your favourite; they're the strongest in your opinion, they represent your values, they're relatable, they're often funny or they have a great costume. I've covered this before but for me my favourite superhero is Nova. Both Richard and Sam, when under the title of Nova, are ultimately just doing their best. Richard is having to be the only member of the Nova Corps still alive and having to take on the responsibilities of the entire corps and Sam is trying to balance being a kid, the man of his house and an Avenger/Champion. The idea that someone with remarkable powers can also be susceptible to stress, not get it right every time and sometimes overwork themselves to their detriment is what gravitates me towards Nova. A lot of my other favourites fit the same criteria.

However that isn't to say my idea of a good superhero is yours too. I hate Tony Stark with a fiery passion but I know people who love the character because of the reasons I hate him. Having a superhero who is more villainous than the common bad guy at times does make for good reading, admittedly. Seriously, when T'Challa let him out of the prison cube thing in Time Runs Out and told him to go die somewhere - it was hilarious. Even T'Challa was sick of him by the end. Great stuff.

So whether you like your favourite hero to throw shields or one-liners I hope you ultimately feel proud in your choice of favourite Superheroes as they often represent the best aspects of us. Although, they are flawed at times. There's no wrong answer when you're asked who your favourite is! Well, unless they're a nazi as I said previously. Or any other kind of bigot. Big no on that.

-Gary

Comments